Now that I am slowly coming out of my blur of a weekend, it has been so wonderful to read every one's well wishes! What started out as a neat way to pass my time on bed rest, our blog has turned out to be a great tool for me to keep up with everyone and for everyone to see our new family! I have spent the last hour reading everyone's reaction to the babies and it has warmed my heart over and over again. Thank you each for taking the time to let us know how much we are being thought of and how excited everyone is to see the the babies.
Katie, Maggie and Wylie are perfect! Each time I am with them, I just stare and can't believe that they belong to us! Each one is so unique and so beautiful - I couldn't be anymore proud! Katie is the smallest and has the most round petite face. She is also the most feisty and can let out some pitiful little cries. Maggie is a huge baby! Her little body fills up the bed that they sleep in and we usually find her legs sprawled over the sides! And Wylie is ALL BOY! He just looks like a little fellow! I can see him growing up and being such a sweet guy. Just like when I was pregnant with him, he remains very still and quiet. He just likes hanging out or else hiding from the girls!
The birth Saturday morning was quite the unexpected experience. After being admitted on Wednesday, I had a feeling that I wasn't going back home. By Friday, I was contracting the entire day and ended up trying to sleep through it. It wasn't until around 3a.m. that I woke up to these awful abdominal cramps. The doctor was called in, did an exam and told me that Baby A (Katie) was pretty much ready to make her appearance and for me to get ready to have these babies. I was one day shy of 32 weeks which is about average for a triplet pregnancy but I was still more scared than I have ever been. Within half an hour, I was being prepped for the C-Section and the OR room was filling with teams for each baby. By the time they were doing the epidural, one of my waters broke. Just like everyone told me, I was where I was supposed to be and in good hands. I couldn't imagine having to drive from Brunswick with all of this going on. Things really progressed faster than I ever imagined. All in all, there were 19 medical personnel in this small little operating room and the whole thing was over in about an hour.
Maggie ended up being born first, followed by Wylie and Katie being last. Hearing those first cries ring out will be an experience I will always cherish and never forget. I am still getting choked up as I think about it. Towards the end of the surgery (or maybe just the rush of everything happening so fast) I started to feel some pain. They ended up giving me some medicine that made me sleepy and the rest of the morning (and really this whole weekend) becomes a bit hazy.
I am healing well, although, today has been the most difficult. My feet continue to swell beyond recognition and whenever I stand on them they feel like they are going to split! It makes getting around really difficult but is a "catch 22" because I am supposed to be walking around due to the surgery. I do what I can and use the wheelchair as needed. The nurses think that this will last for about two weeks. Each toe looks like a snauseges as Aaron jokes about them and my ankles blend in with the rest of my leg. It is awful!
Around noon, the Chief Resident made her rounds and decided that I should be discharged because I am doing so well but we decided to "room in" just one more night. Basically, if the hospital is not full, they will let parents remain in their room to be near the babies. I am so thankful to still be here and am not quite sure I will even be able to leave tomorrow or the next day or even the next day! The thought of leaving the trio makes me extremely anxious and sad. I have known for a long time that I would be leaving the hospital first but still am not at all prepared. Poor Aaron - the "pull out" chair that he has been sleeping on is awful but he is being a sport. I think we have the smallest room on the entire hall but it is cozy to us - I don't think either one of us mind.
So.....one experience down and a whole new one begins. Again, I want to thank each of you for all the support that we have had. Aaron is doing an amazing job keeping up with photos for everyone to see and we will continue to let you know as things progress. Please keep us in your prayers and hopefully we will all be home soon.
Love to you all! Karen
5 comments:
Little A & W creme soda looks a lot different in that last picture, and I can't believe K has her eyes open already!
So glad you are doing well... The babies are precious..Katie looks so alert! I know your mom and Aunt Patti are beside themselves with joy.. Patti managed to send me a short note the day they were born. I think she is as excited as the grandmothers..Take care of you so you'll be up to taking care of them when you get to bring them home...Can't wait to see them when I make it down that way.
Laura Ann
Time for more pictures. Thank You.
I can't wait to meet those little babies and get their footprints! You all look like you are doing well. We think of you often...take care of yourself and you'll be home with everyone before you know it---enjoying that nursery! Love to all FIVE of you!
Meghan
OMG! OMG! OMG! Three gorgeous, healthy babies! CONGRATULATIONS!
I am so proud of you, Karen, and all those who helped you make this possible....cause I know all too well how it's a team effort. I can't wait to get over to the hospital to see all of you. We've been out of town and I'm just getting caught up on things but I'll be by in the next couple of days.
Your cousin,
Dotti Mulling Smith
Post a Comment