Sunday, October 26, 2008

A time to Grow

What a whirlwind of emotions I have gone through today. Aaron and I have had a wonderful weekend spending time together, enjoying visitors and learning all the ins and outs of taking care of the babies. Time is flying already....

Then, this afternoon, my girlfriend Kim and I walk into the nursery to find a new nurse there with tons of information for us. First, all the babies are now doing bottles only...no more feeding tubes! Next, she tells us that Maggie had an apnea episode early this morning and the night nurse had to stimulate her to get her heartbeat back up. This happened a little in the very beginning but not in a long time. Then she drops the news.....she believes that Wylie and Katie (possibly Maggie on a monitor) will be discharged TUESDAY! The doctor had told us two weeks!

Mentally, I have been preparing myself for two more weeks. I panicked. Am I ready to bring these little tiny babies home and be completely responsible for them? Are they ready to leave the hospital? The car seats haven't come in, we haven't bought a car largest enough yet, I haven't called the pediatrician yet to introduce myself, is the house ready, do I even know what all they need?

I am guessing every new parent has these worries but I am scared to death. I was trying to get ready for one thing and now thrown a curve ball. Aaron has to head back to Brunswick in the morning and I plan on heading into the hospital whenever he gets on the road. I feel bad for whoever the nurse is tomorrow because I am looking for a crash course on bringing home triplets.

I eventually settled down a little bit later and at 5:30 we headed to my mom's cousin Bob's house for dinner. This really took my mind off of things for a bit and the hot meal was wonderful! Thank you Bob and Jennifer...it really was a treat! By the time we got back to Memorial, I tried to jump right in with caring for the babies. Aaron and I fed all three, changed diapers (more than once) and put clean jammies on them.

We ended up staying until 10 or so and as we left, all three were wide awake and interacting with each other and us - which created this incredible feeling of togetherness and a true sense of my family beginning to evolve and grow. I have said so many prayers since learning we were having triplets and God has certainly been with us throughout this experience. I remember at one point when I was probably 10 weeks pregnant and worrying about carrying three babies. All of a sudden, I had this peace come over me and I knew that God was present and that everything was going to be fine. I don't think I really worried after that point that the babies would not arrive happy and healthy. I had that same peaceful feeling happen this evening as He showed us how wonderful these babies are and how exciting it will be to have all of us finally home. I know that it is going to be a tremendous amount of work and that Aaron and I both are going to have to remain patient with each other and others as we learn this new chapter in our lives. I have to believe that we are ready and what isn't ready, we will get ready.

So....we will see what this upcoming week brings. Family and Friends - we might be coming home!

2 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

how exciting, what wonderful news! of course it is scary, but it will also be so much more fun than you can ever imagine!

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

WOW!! That is so great-sounds like the next couple days you'll be busy...a wrod that will come to define your life for many years to come. I wish blogging was around when my first set of twins was born 9 years ago-it's a virtual baby book when keeping up with a traditional baby book (times 3) just isn't do-able. Good luck getting it all ready for 3 precious babies!!
Cari-Mom to multiple multiples plus one