Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday's Doctor Appointment

What a great visit with Dr. Bivins! Aaron and I drove up on Friday and got to have a BPP ultrasound which is one of the fancier ones where we get to measure all the arms, legs, tummies, heads, spines, etc. AND THEN....we find out the weight of each one! OK, here it is:

Baby A Little Girl: 2.11 lbs (8th percentile)
Baby B Little Boy: 3.5 lbs (51 percentile)
Baby C Little Girl: 3.0 lbs (26 percentile)

(percentile meaning that that many babies out of 100 are born smaller than ours)
I really like that 3 lb number. Now, if only the little one will catch up! I, on the otherhand, have certainly caught up. I gained 7lbs in the past week - a record so far!

Wendy, the ultrasound tech, tried to get a 4D picture for us but the babies are so crammed in there that we could not get a good view of their faces. We will try again next week but the chances are slim and almost nill for Baby A whose head is literally squished b/w my pelvic bones (has been this way for the past two months and her feet are all the way up to my breast bone). Wendy also said that the baby boy's head has a different shape than the girls...long and lean. But everyone is getting chubby cheeks which is adorable to me!

Angelyn, the nurse practioner, also visted for a second and gave us a happy statistic...30 weeks is the point they consider babies to have a 100% survival rate. So every extra day now only means less NICU time - for each day I carry them = 2 less days in the NICU.

We also had the chance to talk with Dr. Bivens who said things are progressing as normal as can be. He didn't see any reason for me to make an immediate move to Savannah but I still think that we should be heading up there soon. He didn't mention this yesterday but during our first appt., they stated that the office has a statistic of triplet delivery being 32-33 weeks. That is right around the corner.

He also gave the schedule of doctors for Oct and Nov. Unless I deliver the weekend of 33 weeks (Oct 17-19) or anytime during my 36th week (Nov 10-16) - Dr. Bivens won't be at the hospital. I like the other doctors OK but was really hoping Bivens would do the surgery. He said if it made me feel better, next week we could schedule my C-Section for that week in Nov and let that be the goal I set. Sounds good to me! If I could carry them that long, chances are excellent that I would be able to bring these babies home with us. I like that!

I am resting today. Yesterday was long and really wore me out. Aaron is outside working in the yard...the weather looks beautiful. Tomorrow I turn 30 weeks and will post another belly shot for everyone...seems to be what everyone loves to see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen and Aaron,

I am so happy to read those few words that at 30 weeks,all the babies have a 100% chance of servival. Do you think that ya'all will choose to set the delivery date rather than chance? I like the idea of being able to set the date if possible...All 5 of you have been put on the church prayer list. Love KM