Thursday, January 1, 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I have started this post at least a dozen times over the past week and always get pulled away to take care of a baby or two or three! Hopefully, I will be able to hit publish this go round!

Christmas was spent at home this year and was wonderful. Aaron and I spent the morning in the sunroom with all three sleeping babies, opened gifts, drank hot chocolate and spent quality time together as a family. One of the gifts Aaron got me was a new digital camera - I can finally get rid of my awful Cannon!!! This is why I don't have pictures of Christmas morning (they are all on a camera I borrowed from Mom).

That night we had the traditional Christmas dinner thanks to Mom who brought over uncooked portions of her meal that I finished for us. She stayed with the babies while we ate - It was really nice and exactly how I hoped our first Christmas would be.

We missed Christmas night at my grandparents for the first time ever but got to go on Saturday when there wasn't a bunch of people. This was the first time they saw the babies and it was so much fun to watch how they cared for each one. Whenever you have triplets, there is hardly a moment where a baby is not being held. They were troopers and jumped right in. Aaron took these pictures (and a ton more!) which I think are really sweet. We didn't get back home until almost midnight. It was exhausting but worth every minute.






On Tuesday, Aaron's mom, Kathleen, arrived from Houston!!! Oh my goodness - the thought of having help during the night was heaven. I know how everyone says "sleep during the day while your mom is there" but this is next to impossible for me. My body is not on that clock and I just lay awake thinking of things that I should be doing. As a result, I have been running on empty for what seems like an eternity and having a good night of sleep has proven to be the best gift ever!

I was wrong to think that it would take her a couple of days to get the hang of caring for the trio, she jumped right in!!! She helped with one feeding before we all headed to bed that night. I told her that I would see her at midnight and climbed in bed. The next thing I know, it is 3 a.m. and I jumped out of bed thinking something awful but instead found her finishing up the routine. Aaron tells me later that it took her three hours to finish but she got it done! Poor thing - completely winging it on her first try! Then, another great surprise in that my Mom decided to come on over at 4 a.m. She says that she was awake and couldn't sleep but I think she secretly didn't want me teaching Kathleen bad habits...aka prop feeding - a practice she has yet to embrace :) She ended up doing the 6 a.m. so that we all got some rest - well actually, she ended up staying all day and helped with all the feedings! It was so nice!!!!

Kathleen holding Maggie


Aaron showing off Katie Bug


Wednesday, we got all Christmas taken down. Tree is out, stockings are put away. The house looks so bare!

Last night for New Years, we were able to head over to our friend Will's house for a small get together. He lives right next door so we were not too far from Kathleen and the babies in case she needed us - which she didn't. She did a great job! When we got home, everyone was fed and tucked in. I got ANOTHER whole night of sleep when she got up and did the 3a.m. also. Although, she admits this morning that she was beginning to feel a little beat up. Quote "I guess I remember now why only young people have babies!" I will gladly do tonight if she will continue doing them here and there...I feel like a whole new person.

Then today we had another great meal. I cooked the greens, rice, cucumber salad; Kathleen made desert and a wonderful spiced cider; Mom brought the ham and black eyed peas. We set the table with our silver and china and had a wonderful lunch.







Before I close, I want to share with everyone the most wonderful thing that has happened recently...The babies have really started to develop and everyday brings something new. Over the past week, we have had both girls smiling true smiles - not just gas! Wylie will give us glimpses but the girls will go ear to ear with just a tone of voice. Seeing those smiles has completely made my heart swell for these babies...I have loved them since before we were even pregnant and then when they were born, I fell even deeper. Now, seeing those smiles and seeing them react to us has changed my feelings even more than I can ever describe. It has made me realize how much fun being a parent is going to be and what a joy it will be to watch them develop into individuals of their own. They are beginning to be pretty cool little babies. I LOVE IT! Hopefully, I will be able to catch one on camera soon but for now, here are some from the past few days...

















2 comments:

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

They look so great! I hope to be that kind of Grandma years (many) from now-one who isn't afraid to jump in and help. Glad you got some much needed and deserved rest. You look fantastic for having triplets almost 3 months ago! Enjoy your company and have fun with the new camera..better be sure you have an extra hard drive to store all the pictures on....we took 300 pictures playing around with our new camera Christmas day....it's hard not to do it when you have such great subjects (and so many of them too)!

JaxMom said...

So sweet, Karen. Thank goodness for the help.

And the feeling of love just continues to grow. You don't think it is physically possible to love them more than you od, but then the next thing you know, you feel that love grow more.

It is a fun and magical time! And each stage seems more and more fun. Being a "baby" person I am, I did not think I would ever say that 3 is even cuter than 3 months.

Happy New Year!