Saturday, September 19, 2009

I Did It! First Road Trip

So after much debate, we decided to try travelling! My grandparents were visiting South Carolina and wanted us to come stay. Lots of my family were going to be there...my brother, sister, cousins. Aaron had to work and was pretty nervous about me being on the road but in the end said OK. We packed the car the night before and left around 4:30 a.m. I met my grandfather's assistant in Savannah and she rode with me up to the mountains - about 5 1/2 hours. It was such a great trip! The babies did great travelling, we had our own condo when we got there, everyone adjusted wonderfully. I am so glad that we did it.

As nervous as I was, I have to remember that these are the things that I would do if I had one baby. So I have to do it with three...big deal. It probably is more work, more prep, more gear. But this is my life from here on out. I can't let the "more work" part ever hinder me from making memories for these babies. Now, I know they won't remember this trip, but I feel that I am getting them used to being out. Aaron kind of thinks I am silly about this and that they are still a little too young but I am glad that I did it, I am glad that I succeeded. I am proud of myself for not being scared.

OK...here are some pics! It was so much fun!!!!

Here we Go!!!



It was a beautiful day and a nice break from the heat that we have down here on the coast! This is Avery...a cousin to the babies.







Plenty of room for the babies to play in the condo!




We walked the babies down to the stables and let them see a horse for the first time....they LOVED it - giggled the whole time!




Went out to lunch with Nena and Pepaw and crew! This was the first time all three babies used high chairs at the same time! Not even one melt down the entire time we ate!!!




Play Time!
Pepaw with Katie

Maggie and Me

One of my best friends from Charleston came and spent two nights with us...she was such a trooper! THANK YOU TOSYA!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

Pepaw and Wylie

Katie finally figuring out how to hold her bottle! OH!!! AND SHE FIGURED OUT HOW TO CRAWL WHILE WE WERE UP THERE!!!!YAY!!!! And she hasn't stopped since!!!

Wylie


3 comments:

Team Darnell said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I remember our first trip with the boys and how anxious I was to travel even a few hours away from the 'safety' of our home. Way to go!!! Watch out because your confidence will grow. We started with 4 hour trips and ended up going from Florida to Texas when the boys were 10 months.

I am not sure if there is a connection but I always had one or more do something new on a trip, roll over, crawl, pull up. It may be timing but I wonder if it may also be a "jump start" to get out an do something new.

Congrats again! Huge milestones for traveling AND dining out!!

JaxMom said...

Sounds like a great trip. And, Karen, I may only have one, but never understimate getting the babies used to things you will want to do later - traveling, eating out, being around other children or adults. I am so glad Jax was on the go, because he can adjust and adapt to just about any surrounding.

Love the picture updates!
Suzanne

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

Great job getting out there.....driving is the only way we know to travel and while it was quite a bit of work the first few years...or each time new babies arrived.....they have all become very great car travelers. I know some friends who won't even consider driving to Colorado from here...c'mon now! I'm telling you, you are going to WANT our van soon :-)